FUTURE MAP 2025-2045: Discover the Crucial Trends Consumer Brands Must Act on to Prosper in this Massively Transformation Era. See that here.
The KPIs for CPG depend on the channels sold.
If sold direct-to-consumer, the top metrics I track include:
- Marketing spend;
- Message engagement rates (email, social views, social shares, hashtags, etc);
- Click throughs;
- Average Order Value;
- Cost per click;
- Cost per visitor;
- Cost per order;
- Cart abandon rate;
- Cancels/Declines/Returns rates;
- Return on advertising spend (ROAS) or marketing efficiency ratio (MER);
- Lifetime value, calculated at least over 12-months, but can be also much sooner depending upon the product repurchase cycle.
If sold in retail, the top metrics I track include:
- Units/door/week sold per retailer;
- Sales order change from 52-weeks prior;
- Weeks of inventory on hand that I have;
- Weeks of inventory on hand that the retail account has;
- Retailer weeks of inventory target number;
- Value of outstanding purchase orders;
- Product returns
- Retailer ROI and tradespend and penalties
- PO delivery on-time rate
- Out of stock percentage
- Logistics costs to revenue ratio
My background is consumer product and CPG startups through low 9-figures in revenue, so I cannot speak to the top metrics tracked for larger CPG’s. I would think they track the above plus additional ones.